A New York man who sexually abused a 5-year-old girl for at least two years was sentenced Wednesday to 55 years to life.
A jury found 25-year-old Jonathan Mendez of Unica, New York, guilty last month of three counts of oral copulation or sexual penetration with a child 10 years old or younger, and two counts of lewd act upon a child.
The charges arose from an investigation carried out by the Victor Valley Sheriff Station where the victim describes experiences of sexual abuse over a two-year period by her motherâ€™s boyfriend.
The instances occurred between August of 2012 and November of 2014 when the victim would have been between 5 and 7 years old.
The young female victim was present at his sentencing and her victim impact statement was read to the court. In part, it said, â€œI’m so happy that Jonathan will not be able to hurt any other little girls and boys like me and brother ever againâ€¦ no other little girls and boys will ever have to go through what me and my brother have had to go through.â€
According to an official, the victimâ€™s answers and details given to the interviewer at the Childrenâ€™s Assessment Center were so detailed and credible, it left little doubt as to whether or not the abuse had happened.
â€œThanks to the courage of this brave young girl, the defendant will be locked away for a long time and hopefully never have the chance to harm another child,â€ he said.