A West Virginia couple have been arrested and charged after their 3-year-old son died.

31-year-old Aaron Brendon Miles and 22-year-old Mariya Ajena Jones were arrested after first responders found their son deceased and showing multiple injuries Tuesday at their home.

They’ve been charged with child neglect resulting in death.

There’d been a call about a child in cardiac arrest, and firefighters and EMS responded at approximately 1:45 p.m.

Upon arrival, they found the boy cold to the touch and laying lifeless. He was pronounced dead later at Cabell Huntington Hospital.

Those first responders noted several injuries in various stages of the healing process on the little boy’s body while they tried to revive him. The injuries included his stomach being notably distended and hard to the touch, and marks on his genitals, according to the criminal complaint.

It turns out that Cabell County Child Protective Services had an open investigation going on and had been trying to reach the family of the boy for more than a month.

Ms. Jones said that Mr. Miles, had struck the tiny boy with a belt on multiple prior occasions when he’d misbehaved. But the injuries found on the boy’s body aren’t consistent with any marks a belt usually leaves.

Neither of the parents of the young boy were home at the time of his death. Jones says she was at the Department of Human Resources, and Miles says he was in another neighborhood located nearby.

Two other children, a 4-year-old girl and an 11-month-old infant, were found inside. They were immediately put into the care of CPS.


The couple were before the Cabell County Magistrate Court around 7:30 p.m. for their arraignment, where Mr. Miles said the little boy “had just been getting into stuff the past couple days.”

“He’d been eating feces. He was eating feces for the last two days. He was over yesterday eating out [of] the toilet,” he continued. “He put his head in the toilet and drank water out of the toilet.”

He said the infant had been “mischievous” over the past few days, so he’d made him do push-ups and bear crawls as a punishment.

Still waiting for the arraignment hearing to start, he said, “He’d been using the bathroom by himself for the last few days, so I laid him down in the bathroom so he could be closer to the toilet,” adding that he’d given him a glass of orange juice and a bottle of water. “I put him a pillow down, and I put him a sheet down just this morning,” he said.

He then gave uninvited advice to other parents: “If you can, don’t leave them unattended for no amount of time,” breaking into tears. “We wasn’t gone for more than 10 or 15 minutes.”

Both are being held on a $1 million bond.