A Colorado man stands accused of setting his girlfriend on fire in front of one of her young sons, causing the boy to injure his hand as he tried to put out the fire.

32-year-old John Vasquez is now being held in the Clear Creek County Jail and has been charged with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, and violation of a protection order. His bond has been set at $1 million.

The victim sustained burns to 60% of her body and is in critical condition at University of Colorado Hospital.

Mr. Vasquez, the victim, and her two sons, ages 7 and 10, were on a spur-of-the-moment camping trip on June 17th when, as one of her sons sat next to her, Vasquez spilled gas on her, lighting her on fire.

The boy had also tried putting the fire out by pouring water on her.

It’s unclear which son was trying to assist her, due to redactions in the court records.

The unnamed victim’s second son, who said he didn’t actually see the incident, told investigators that he heard the screaming and ran toward his mother to try and help put the fire out.

He says he saw Vasquez kicking dirt onto her.

One of the sons then called 911 and said, “Johnny spilled gasoline on mom and lit a lighter.”

Vasquez and the woman had had a fight the night before, according to court records.

“John kicked her and she punched him in the face, splitting his lip,” it read in part.

One of the boys told authorities that “he saw John pour gas on his mom and light her on fire near one of her shoulders using a blue lighter, then John stood there and laughed”.

Vasquez had been arrested before for domestic violence against the same woman back in October of 2015.

She’d had a protection order against him after that incident, but that had since modified it to allow full contact between the two.

When detectives interviewed Vasquez after this latest incident, he said he woke up in the morning and was trying to start a fire in the fire pit for breakfast and “the next thing he knew the victim was on fire.”

He added that after the fire was put out, he helped her into his car and waited for paramedics to arrive.

The woman’s two sons are now in the care of their father.