Moving footage shows the moment a hero football coach disarmed and embraced a suicidal student who brought a loaded gun into class at a Portland High School.

Keanon Lowe, a Former University of Oregon football star, had wrestled with student Angel Granados-Diaz, 19, for the weapon as other students ran screaming out a back door during the May 17 incident.

Newly released surveillance footage from the Parkrose High School gun scare in May shows Keanon Lowe, a security guard and coach at the Portland school, disarming, embracing and comforting the distraught student who brought a loaded shotgun into a classroom.

Investigators say the student, Angel Granados-Diaz, then 18, was suffering a mental health crisis and didn’t intend to hurt anyone but himself.

The video shows Lowe walk into a hallway in the school, holding the gun in one hand and keeping his other arm wrapped around Granados-Diaz. He hands the weapon off to another male, then wraps both arms around Granados-Diaz in a bear hug. He appears to comfort the teen, who eventually touches Lowe’s face, then embraces the coach as Lowe hugs him and pats him on the back.

Granados-Diaz hadn’t wanted to kill himself at home, where his mother would find his body, so he went to the school to do it, authorities said. His lawyer said the teen had been in a school bathroom and thought about ending his life there but decided to go into the classroom instead so someone would call 911 immediately after he fired.

Classmates and friends said Granados-Diaz, who was a Parkrose High senior, had been sad and lonely after a breakup with his girlfriend.

School officials received a heads-up the morning of May 17 about the potential danger after at least one student reported to the school that Granados-Diaz had been making suicidal statements. That prompted campus security guard Keanon Lowe to head to Granados-Diaz’s class to find him and bring him back to the school office, where he could be connected to help, investigators said.


DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. – An armed robbery at a DeKalb County store Tuesday morning could have gone the wrong way if not for an armed customer, police say.

It happened at a Family Dollar store in the 7000 block of Covington Highway. At least three customers and two employees were inside at the time.

According to police, a customer at the store shot and killed a robber during a hold-up.

“I’m glad that the Good Samaritan was there to save that person’s life who was just at work making an honest dollar,” said Conrad Fagan, who was in the area at the time of the attempted robbery.

A DeKalb County Police investigator told reporters the armed customer could be seen on camera shopping not far from the register when he noticed a man trying to rob the cashier at the register.

“He didn’t do anything wrong. He stopped a robbery in progress and did what he had to do,” said Sgt. Lynn Schuler, who described the customer as a Good Samaritan.

Like most people, Robert Miller became upset when he learned the price of something he regularly bought had gone up by a dollar.

Unlike most people, the 60-year-old Florida man decided the best way to deal with the price jump was to bring a loaded assault rifle into the store, according to police.

Now, thanks in part to the incident being caught on surveillance video, Miller faces a felony aggravated assault charge.

According to a police report, Miller went into a supermarket in the Fort Lauderdale suburb of Lauderhill, where he lives, on Dec. 20 and asked for two packs of Pall Mall cigarettes, WPLG reported.

When Miller was told the smokes would cost $11, the problems began. Miller said two packs normally cost $10, and began arguing with the clerk, eventually shouting and telling the clerk to “come on and fight,” CBS Miami reported.


The new images were published on Friday as part of a detailed investigative report by the Sun-Sentinel into the February 14 shooting in Parkland, Florida, in which 17 people died. The report details the incompetence and blunders on the part of the Broward County Sheriff’s office and school district that led to a delayed and bungled response to the shooting. Also seen for the first time are heartbreaking photos of students crowded into a hallway responding to a fire alarm, and a chilling image of the bullet damage to hurricane windows that prevented the shooter from firing on first responders.


Second Amendment WIN!!

Michelle Booker-Hicks was paying for her gas at a Shell station. Suddenly, she saw a man climb into her car, which had her two sons, both aged four, in the back. Booker-Hicks jumped into the front passenger seat and shouted at him to stop. But he ignored her and carried on her driving. She then grabbed her gun from her glove box and opened fire, shooting the carjacker in the face, hitting him under his right eye.

Michelle Booker-Hicks was paying for her gas at a Shell station along Interstate 35 near Camp Wisdom Road on Wednesday night at 10pm. Suddenly, she saw a man climb into her car, which had her two sons, both aged four, in the back. Booker-Hicks jumped into the front passenger seat and shouted at him to stop. But he ignored her and carried on her driving. So she said she grabbed her gun from her glove box and opened fire, shooting the carjacker in the face, hitting him under his right eye. He was arrested at the scene and police have identified him as 36-year-old Ricky Wright.


A gun-toting 70-year-old grandmother took matters into her own hands early Saturday morning when she shot and wounded an alleged home intruder attempting to break into her Philadelphia residence. Maxine Thompson told Fox 29 she woke up around 4:30 a.m. and heard banging outside her house. Police said a 43-year-old man attempted to break into the grandmother’s Philadelphia home at the time.

“First I thought I was dreaming, and then I looked out the window, outside. I was still hearing the banging, banging, banging, so I yelled to whoever, ‘Who’s that on my door? Get off my door, get off my door,’” Thompson recalled. Despite her warnings, the alleged burglar didn’t stop and continued to smash her dining room window and enter the house. Thompson, going into survival mode, grabbed her late mother’s handgun and shot at the suspect. She told Fox 29 it was her first time using the gun.
,br>“I shot at him. He turned around and he ran and when he ran, I ran down the steps behind him and shot at him some more,” Thompson recalled. “Kill him before he kills me. That’s what was going through my mind.” The alleged burglar was struck while Thompson fired at him several times. He ran to a nearby car wash and called police to report he’d been shot, Fox 29 reported. He was arrested, taken to the hospital and treated for a gunshot wound to his upper arm.


HILLIARD, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) — A Hilliard Davidson High School student’s suspension letter is going viral after Wednesday’s national walkout.

High school senior Jake Shoemaker said the school gave him two options, which included participating in the walkout or staying in a designated area inside the school.

Shoemaker said he felt the two options forced him to pick a side in the gun violence debate. The teen choose instead to stay in a classroom and do school work.

“It’s the least political protest that exists. The thing that I was protesting was politics in the classroom. I feel it has no place in a school, in a district, anywhere,” said Jake Shoemaker.

The student’s choice earned him a one-day suspension. The suspension letter explained part of the reason, “Student refused to follow instructions.”

Hilliard City Schools spokesperson Stacie Raterman said federal privacy laws prevented her from talking about Shoemaker. However, she explained in an email, “I can only confirm that no student was suspended for not walking out, nor were any suspended for walking out.”

The suspension letter went viral online. The phone number for the student’s father was written at the bottom of the letter. Scott Shoemaker said he started getting hundreds of calls from people who thought he was the school principal.

“I’ve had to change my number today. It has not been a fun day for me. But yeah, I’ve had a couple of death threats too. People who thought that I was the one who suspended him and that basically what they would like to do to me,” said Scott Shoemaker.

Both the student and his dad said they don’t want people online to use the teen’s decision to help their own political agenda.

Shoemaker said he warned his son of repercussions. He said he doesn’t think the school punishment was appropriate. He still supports his son’s decision and defends school officials.

“They’re good people. They did what they felt they had to do. I do not agree with the decision and I told them that.”

The high school senior will return to school Friday. The student’s dad said he plans to talk with school officials soon.