An Arkansas police officer has been placed on leave as his department investigates him for placing a student in a chokehold. After the officer puts down the student, other students say he kept one arm around his neck as he walked with the student out of the camera’s view. The officer was assigned as a school resource officer in Camden High School. His leave is effective immediately pending investigation.

An official statement posted on Facebook didn’t identify the groups nor his level of interaction with them.

Police have said Phillips was ‘looking for an officer to kill’ when he shot Carr.

Officials posted five videos from the incident Friday.

One of the videos shows Phillips approaching Carr’s patrol vehicle from behind. It later shows him firing shots at the vehicle as he walks away and reloads his gun.

The additional videos showed Phillips walking down the sidewalk prior to the shooting; officers exiting the police department’s door following the shooting with their guns drawn; Phillips going into an alleyway between the police department and the district court building, and officers searching for Phillips before ‘engaging’ him in the alleyway.

Police said they ‘hesitated to release the attached video of what transpired that night due to the heinous and shocking nature of this crime, but in an effort to keep the public informed of exactly what happened that night, we are releasing video of the incident along with the results of the Arkansas State Medical Examiner’s preliminary findings.’

Police also said that they shared the videos with Carr’s family prior to making them public.

The sheriff’s office said Phillips fired 16 rounds and had reloaded his weapon with another full magazine containing 17 rounds.

Preliminary autopsy results showed that Carr had been shot 10 times in the head and that any of those shots would have been fatal, the sheriff’s office said in the statement.

Authorities said that Phillips was shot six times by the other officers.


A local woman arrested on felony drug charges early Sunday following a traffic stop reportedly told Hot Springs police she believed her brother had put meth in her sandwich or her drink.

Elizabeth Marie Catlett, 29, who lists a Park Avenue address, was taken into custody shortly after 6:30 a.m. and charged with possession of meth with purpose to deliver, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, four counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, punishable by up to six years, and a misdemeanor count of driving while intoxicated, first offense.

Her passenger, Don Russell Furr, 33, of Lonsdale, was arrested on the same felony charges as Catlett. Furr, a previously convicted felon, was being held on $13,500 bond while Catlett, who had no prior criminal history, was held on a $14,500 bond and both were set to appear Monday in Garland County District Court.

According to the probable cause affidavit, around 6:30 a.m. Sunday, Officer Thomas Plummer was eastbound in the 1000 block of East Grand Avenue when he saw a gold 1994 Toyota Camry pull out of a parking lot without its headlights on. He followed alongside the vehicle which continued to drive without headlights and finally stopped it at the intersection of E. Grand and South Border Street.

Upon speaking to the driver, identified as Catlett, Plummer noted a smell of marijuana and that Catlett was “moving about the vehicle in a quick, nervous manner.” When asked, Catlett denied there were any drugs in the car and Plummer noted the front seat passenger, identified as Furr, avoided eye contact with him.

Plummer had Catlett exit the car and asked if he could check her for weapons or illegal items. She consented and he allegedly found a plastic baggie in her pocket which contained scraps of paper, a cut straw and smaller baggies. Catlett stated the bag was not hers and “someone else put it there.”

Inside the scraps of paper was what appeared to be meth and the bags and straw had meth residue. Catlett was taken into custody and officers spoke to Furr who stated if there was anything illegal in the car “it would be in the console and it would be ICE,” a common term for meth. A zippered bag was found containing a glass pipe, a bag with meth and Q-tips.


An Arkansas woman was convicted of murder on Tuesday after Rancho Cordova police found her three-year-old daughter dead in the backseat of an SUV, under blankets, on a hot summer day almost two years ago.

29-year-old Angela Phakhin was found guilty of first-degree murder after a jury unanimously ruled she was guilty of premeditated murder and felony torture in the June 2017 death of her daughter Maiya, 3, according to a news release by the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday,

Untwan Smith, Phakin’s fiance, is now awaiting trial on the same charges.

Police said Phakin came to California in 2016 with Maiya and Smith.

Rancho Cordova authorities found the couple’s vehicle on June 28, 2017, parked the wrong way on Rod Beaudry Drive near River Bend Park, according to The Sacramento Bee.

It is now understood that Phakin and Smith exposed Maiya to “extreme summer temperatures” for over two weeks, the DA’s news release said.

Shockingly, it was revealed she died after being left in the hot car for 9 1/2 hours; and had been left inside for 4 1/2 hours the previous day.

On the day of Maiya’s death, the Sacramento region had reached 89 degrees, while touching 85 degrees the day before, according to National Weather Service archives.

That said, temperatures ranged between 104 and 107 degrees for five days straight the week before Maiya’s death.